Installation Procedure

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I downloaded the March 1 (1.0.0) binaries, but don't see how to "activate" them within Visual Studio, so that I get a LinqToXsdSchema build action for my XSDs.

Thanks in advance

/jonathan

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Found the following link and followed the instructions (except for step 5, as unnecessary with binaries):

http://www.netframeworkdev.com/net-base-class-library/linq-to-xsd-how-to-use-linq-to-xsd-functionality-in-general-application-2782.shtml

and now have LinqToXsdSchema build action, classes, etc

/jonathan

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:45 PM

One other thing: when I exited and restarted VS2008, the "LinqToXsdBinDir" parameter is lost, and I don't want to put the .targets file in my solution, so I changed the project config to hardcode the path to the LinqToXsd bits:

<PropertyGroup>
        <!--<LinqToXsdBinDir Condition="'$(LinqToXsdBinDir)' == ''">$(SolutionDir)</LinqToXsdBinDir>-->
        <LinqToXsdBinDir Condition="'$(LinqToXsdBinDir)' == ''">c:\LINQTOXSDBIN\</LinqToXsdBinDir>
    </PropertyGroup>

/jonathan

Developer
Mar 11, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Yes, it would be good to add all of this to documentation/troubleshooting.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:06 PM

If you set the environment variable normally (via the System Properties dialog), it'll be persistent and you won't have to hard-code it into your project config file.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:15 PM
jlathigee wrote:

Found the following link and followed the instructions (except for step 5, as unnecessary with binaries):

http://www.netframeworkdev.com/net-base-class-library/linq-to-xsd-how-to-use-linq-to-xsd-functionality-in-general-application-2782.shtml

and now have LinqToXsdSchema build action, classes, etc

/jonathan

I tried following those instructions too but I am trying to use LINQ to XSD from a a web application.  You can't "uload the project" when it's a web application.

Are my XSD's supposed to be complied into the dll somehow or are those instructions at newframewordev supposed to enable the LinqToXsdSchema build option for any XSD file in Solution Explorer?

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:19 PM
toadmyster wrote:
I tried following those instructions too but I am trying to use LINQ to XSD from a a web application.  You can't "uload the project" when it's a web application.

Are my XSD's supposed to be complied into the dll somehow or are those instructions at newframewordev supposed to enable the LinqToXsdSchema build option for any XSD file in Solution Explorer?

You can close the solution / project and then hand edit the csproj file in a text editor.

Oct 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I think this tool is difficult to install. I've got a solution that I'm building on my new machine. I pulled the solution out of source control -- it built fine on my old machine and used LinqToXsd. Now I'm not able to build it on my new machine and it's all due to LinqToXsd. I'm reading the post above (from www.netframeworkdev.com) and wow that's a lot of work to get a tool running.

My point is: this is a area that really needs work and would help adoption of this tool. I think the amount of time I've saved by using LinqToXsd (as opposed to just pulling values out of the Xml) is far offset by the various build issues that we've had with this tool because of the install process.

Developer
Oct 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM

It would be nice if you guys help the project. You could ask permission to be a developer and contribute to the project. Do not wait when someone fix your problem, just fix it.

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I agree.  It would be nice.  Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable in VS integration.  If I could fix it I would but I can't seem to figure it out so I'm asking for help.

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Also: nupack integration. Worth considering, it looks pretty cool. Plus you could skip over the whole install thing and just tell people to use nupack.

On Oct 11, 2010 8:20 AM, "toadmyster" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: toadmyster
>
> I agree. It would be nice. Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable in VS integration. If I could fix it I would but I can't seem to figure it out so I'm asking for help.
>
>